Skip to main content

Demanding

“Ours is an era of constant distraction, a punishing drumbeat of constant input, this cacophony that follows us into our homes, into our bed, seeps into our…into our souls, everything out there has gotten so… so amplified” Sherlock from episode 7, season 2. It rings so true for me, and the reason I bring it up or shall I say cause, is the tirade that spewed from my mouth at my phone, when after a day of work, my phone also had to insist on attention by telling me it needed charging. It’s all so damn noisy this life we lead, and it’s not that we can even choose to ignore it because it insists that you constantly listen and attend to it, take the phone for instance, ok I am my own worst enemy here, I did choose the fancy thing, and for that I am truly sorry, but do you absolutely need to know about every social media titbit, or exactly when it deems it necessary to be recharged, or when you are out of wifi range, and I know you can turn it off, that’s not the point. This constant barrage comes at us all day long from every angle and just never lets up, people hooting in cars, truck exhaust brakes, motorcycles screaming by, then the talking on the TV the radio, ads, promotions, billboards, spam, fuel gauge flashing, electronic buzzer to open the gates the need for people to talk overly loud on their cell phones… and it just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on until I feel like my head sometimes just wants to explode, perhaps this is why Yoga has become so popular who knows. I just know that I need some quiet, sometimes I just need real quiet, turn the phone off, let no one near me, and sit in a darkened room and just find some solitude, some peace, if my over stimulated brain will allow, because that’s not as easy as it sounds, just because your senses have been sealed off from the noise, doesn’t mean your brain stops processing them, like some junky with a really bad habit. And that’s the crux of all this, we constantly talk of bad habit, he smokes, bad habit, she drinks, bad habit, but what about these bad habits we are forming by allowing all this noise to permeate into our lives… our very souls, aren’t those bad habits hastening the demise of our creative abilities, our compassion, the very core of real human experience.

Perhaps the human experience is changing, evolving and perhaps all those things mentioned are becoming extinct like the wildlife on our planet, superfluous to that drum beat, like your little toe, gradually getting smaller till one day we are jelly masses, supported in slings, without need for any thought, just being fed noise and sustenance to keep us occupied.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love and Happiness

At this time of year when everyone is reminded that being a human being is being kind and loving, forgiving and tolerant, I feel that it's all bullshit, this is not a state for the holidays, this should be a constant state and something we should strive towards in our everyday lives. I blogged about being a "mensch" and perhaps it's good to remind ourselves what it means to be one. what follows is that blog A while ago I mentioned being a “mensch” and I was not really clear on what it means. A good friend and client brought this in for me, it’s part of an article written by Charlotte Cohen, and it sums it up well. What is a honourable mensch It is a voice, and the understanding behind it. It is the eyes, and the intelligence behind them. It is the recognition that support is needed, and asked for, giving it And the kindness that lies behind all of that. It’s keeping quiet when one ought and speaking when one should and knowing the difference. It’s giving pr

David Bowie's 50th Birthday Bash Pt 6 - Space Boy with The Foo Fighters.mpg

Mr Lucky's Cape Town Tattoo