Skip to main content

Thank You Ms T


On Thursday, I was able to go to Barnet Fair Barber shop at 98 Bree Street, St. Stephens Church, in Heritage Square. I got there at about 09H30 and I did not need to wait, I was greeted by reception and made comfortable in a lovely old school barbers chair. The young woman barber, asked me about how I like my hair cut, and in no time she was cutting away and for the second time in Cape Town, the stylist/barber actually understood the way I like my hair cut, I fussy like that…. Anyway, it was great, all the while there is a well chosen selection of music playing throughout from some swing to Bowie’s Jean Genie, that had me foot tapping away and tempted to break out in a sing along with the chorus.
Next I was tipped back in the chair, made comfortable and the barber wrapped a hot towel around my face, and in the background I could hear her preparing the rest of the equipment. Off came the towel and luke warm lather was spread with a shaving brush, softening and raising the stubble, now my favorite, the strait razor shave, neat and precise she shaved me, I have some difficult areas on my face to shave due to the way I wear my beard and shaving them with a strait razor takes practice, I know as I do it every morning, but she did great. Another hot towel, but we aren’t finished yet, the barber then shaved me twice more with a 3 blade disposable, first against the growth, then another hot towel and lather, then with the growth, and finally a finishing hot towel. Personally I think it’s overkill, I would have been very happy after the strait razor shave, but I will say that after a splash of aftershave, I ran my hand over my face and it was so smooth it felt like someone else’s face.
All in all, it was a really fantastic experience and something I’m going to try do once a week if I can.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love and Happiness

At this time of year when everyone is reminded that being a human being is being kind and loving, forgiving and tolerant, I feel that it's all bullshit, this is not a state for the holidays, this should be a constant state and something we should strive towards in our everyday lives. I blogged about being a "mensch" and perhaps it's good to remind ourselves what it means to be one. what follows is that blog A while ago I mentioned being a “mensch” and I was not really clear on what it means. A good friend and client brought this in for me, it’s part of an article written by Charlotte Cohen, and it sums it up well. What is a honourable mensch It is a voice, and the understanding behind it. It is the eyes, and the intelligence behind them. It is the recognition that support is needed, and asked for, giving it And the kindness that lies behind all of that. It’s keeping quiet when one ought and speaking when one should and knowing the difference. It’s giving pr

David Bowie's 50th Birthday Bash Pt 6 - Space Boy with The Foo Fighters.mpg

Mr Lucky's Cape Town Tattoo