Skip to main content

Weekend Argus


Art that’s only skin deep

The world’s top tattoo artists are drawn to Cape Town. Report by Kowthar Solomons, pictures by Matthew Jordaan

GETTING inked is not only for hard-core tattoo lovers – and the growing popularity of the Cape Town Tattoo Convention is definitely proof of that. The fourth annual event of its kind, on this weekend at the Pavilion Conference Centre at the V&A Waterfront, the convention has attracted some of the world’s top tattoo artists to the Mother City.
BODY ART: Milo Marcer, of Mr Lucky Tattoos in Cape Town, works on Pippa Tshabalala’s left thigh.
Southern Ink Xposure (SIX) is the lead organiser behind the event, and PR and marketing manager Jon Monsoon said this year’s turn-out had been fantastic. “The convention gets better every year, and we see the numbers grow to reflect that.”When they started, he admits, people mostly visited “out of curiosity, to gawk at the tattooed”. “But now we see those same people come in with ink of their own.”
Some of the artists in this year’s line-up are Spain’s Robert Hernandez, Thomas Alvarado of the US, and Dermadonna of the Netherlands.
The event is aimed specifically at adults, but for the children there are temporary tattoos stalls and a tattoothemed putt putt course.
Among the celebs who have popped in are 5fm’s DJ Fresh, Roger Taylor of the legendary rock band Queen, and members of Joburg rock outfit Shadow Club, who will perform at the after-party tomorrow evening.
“It’s great that tattoos have become more mainstream and aren’t just associated with bikers, gangsters and negative stereotypes,” Monsoon said.
The event ends tomorrow night. Tickets are R120 for adults and entrance is free for children under 16.
kowthar.solomons@inl.co.za

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love and Happiness

At this time of year when everyone is reminded that being a human being is being kind and loving, forgiving and tolerant, I feel that it's all bullshit, this is not a state for the holidays, this should be a constant state and something we should strive towards in our everyday lives. I blogged about being a "mensch" and perhaps it's good to remind ourselves what it means to be one. what follows is that blog A while ago I mentioned being a “mensch” and I was not really clear on what it means. A good friend and client brought this in for me, it’s part of an article written by Charlotte Cohen, and it sums it up well. What is a honourable mensch It is a voice, and the understanding behind it. It is the eyes, and the intelligence behind them. It is the recognition that support is needed, and asked for, giving it And the kindness that lies behind all of that. It’s keeping quiet when one ought and speaking when one should and knowing the difference. It’s giving pr...

Italy comes to Town

If "Italy came to town" this weekend, then, it missed the bus. The Italian consulate should be ashamed at charging people to actually just be fed by the average restaurants in and around Cape Town. Seriously the music wasn't even Italian, one vendor actually spoke Italian. I get you want to spread Italian products to a wider audience, but this was disjointed, there were supposed to have been vendors, why am I paying to have Woolworths show their "Italian range" fuck off! Where are those Nonna's making fresh pasta, and great sauses, where is the Nonno with his amazing home grown tomatoes and home cured prosciutto? Security at the entrances was a joke and just stupid and rude, and I am not talking about the young women who manned the entrace, but the security, who could not help having to be pedantic assholes. If this is the face of Italy in SA, shame, just shame, what a waste.

Backyard

I was looking for our next project, as Nicci and I love spending what little free time swinging spanners in our garage building café racers and we are almost done with our second a 1983 BMW r100rs, so I was looking on gumtree and olx and I came across an add for a café racer where the guy says “professionally build, not a backyard garage builder”. And he’s right I am a backyard garage builder, but I do know when a nut is loose and when it’s tight, and seeing as I ride what I build, you would be right in assuming as I’m on the damn thing I check everything twice, hell more than that. To him I have this to say, you may have a workshop, but buddy it doesn’t make you any good at what you do, let alone legitimize the design eye you just don’t have. This is what I am getting at, there is a lot of talk about where you work from, let me explain. I opened new premises many years ago, after having worked from my a dedicated tattoo studio at my home, a tattoo artist, I won’t mention names, com...