Skip to main content

Need

I have been talking to my good friend Rob, a financial adviser, about money, and how we go about spending it, he drives a A5 wanted to own a coupe in his life, and on impulse went and did it. Now he's thinking of getting something smaller less expensive, but was feeling a little pressure to keep up appearances in his industry, that clients might not see him as successful. But what came to mind, especially in his circumstance is that he's advising people to spend wisely, not to spend on huge luxury items, and so the thinking was that by not bowing to this pressure you would show that you take your own advise.
Now you're wondering, cool, good for you but what the fuck are you on about. Well last year I felt the financial pinch in a big way, and I had to make some really hard decisions, as I'm sure many have had to do in the last 3/4 years under the financial climate, but I found one thing, one solitary sentence that pulled me through. DO I REALLY NEED THIS? before any currency left my wallet, I asked myself that question several times, thats cause I'm a pig headed ass, and if the answer came up yes, then fine, but even the slightest hesitation, meant that i did not need it, it was not a necessity and thus left that item, purchase whatever just there. We have become obsessed with the "must have" syndrome, computer are out of date in three months, just as you got that big ass flat screen they spring 3D on you, soon the mattress you sleep on isn't soft enough, then it's not supportive enough, and to top it all your car will determine just how attractive you are, and so on and so forth, pretty soon you are upgrading your home to look like a palace cause your neighbors have. Never once going ok did I really need this, I mean really need this! Chances are you didn't, so perhaps the answer is in just how we fill our lives, perhaps we have lost focus on the important part of our lives, and that is, that it's fleeting, from the first breath, we begin dying, and chasing the propagated ideal, may fulfill a hole you think is important, but the true cost to you will be time, time you don't have to waste, because like all of us one day you will die, and take nothing with you.
I woke this morning, the mist had rolled in, and I'm content, I have spent the last three days giving my time freely to some one that I believe needs my help to become a better tattooer, and I feel good about it, I'm sure that the time I spent will be evident in what she does from here on. And I'm happy, because the cost is well spent, and my soul really needs it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love and Happiness

At this time of year when everyone is reminded that being a human being is being kind and loving, forgiving and tolerant, I feel that it's all bullshit, this is not a state for the holidays, this should be a constant state and something we should strive towards in our everyday lives. I blogged about being a "mensch" and perhaps it's good to remind ourselves what it means to be one. what follows is that blog A while ago I mentioned being a “mensch” and I was not really clear on what it means. A good friend and client brought this in for me, it’s part of an article written by Charlotte Cohen, and it sums it up well. What is a honourable mensch It is a voice, and the understanding behind it. It is the eyes, and the intelligence behind them. It is the recognition that support is needed, and asked for, giving it And the kindness that lies behind all of that. It’s keeping quiet when one ought and speaking when one should and knowing the difference. It’s giving pr

These gay days it seems

 In light of what we are seeing in the world today, specially in the US, I am always reminded of this song. In 76 this was an issue and it's half a century later and it feels more relevant than ever, why must people live in fear for being themselves, in fear of living when those around them do so without a thought for anyone else. We have allowed those loudest voices to rob us of compassion and love for one another, we have allowed them to brow beat us into hiding who we are, who our kids are, and in turn robbing us all of a future. I am not as kind as Rod about those that killed Georgie, in that time ignorance my have been a factor, today however this is not ignorance, this is malevolence, orchestrated hate. If this song doesn't touch you, go take a hard look in the mirror, I bet you won't like what you see. Oh yeah In these days of changing ways So called liberated days A story comes to mind of a friend of mine Georgie boy was gay I guess Nothin' more or nothin' l

Mr Lucky's Cape Town Tattoo