Skip to main content

A good moon rising

Thursday night at about 9pm we had just closed the shop, and I was making my way home on my Vespa. Crossing over the bridge and onto the circle on ramp to the highway I saw the moon, it was huge and hung low over the Durbanville hills, bright and gold, it felt like you could reach out and touch it. Swinging around on the on ramp Table Mountain came into view with the sun setting behind it, this huge beautiful black mountain with the most spectacular vignette from aquamarine to indigo to black, behind it as the darkness fell.
I had just spent 10 solid hours tattooing and was really exhausted, but this beautiful vision could, no, would not be ignored and the message that came with it either, you really are your nickname Mr Lucky.
Lucky to live in such a beautiful place, but that's just the tip of the iceberg, I have two brothers, a wonderful person with two amazing kids in my life, and my child little Laika,  but those are the obvious ones, I am lucky all the time, my shop is doing well, I am surrounded by some of the most awesome friend anyone could hope for. I am lucky because I have the most awesome client base that is constantly growing, and lucky because they choose me to do what I love most, tattoo them. Lucky because ... hell there is so much and I could go on indefinitely, and this is not the reason for the post.  At this time of year saying thank you is something we do, and it ends up sounding glib, just lip service, but I don't care cause I always feel like this, and that is grateful, grateful for everything, the beauty, patience, compassion, love, happiness, health and on and on and on.... that I have in my life, so thank you, thank you so very much, form the very bottom of my heart thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love and Happiness

At this time of year when everyone is reminded that being a human being is being kind and loving, forgiving and tolerant, I feel that it's all bullshit, this is not a state for the holidays, this should be a constant state and something we should strive towards in our everyday lives. I blogged about being a "mensch" and perhaps it's good to remind ourselves what it means to be one. what follows is that blog A while ago I mentioned being a “mensch” and I was not really clear on what it means. A good friend and client brought this in for me, it’s part of an article written by Charlotte Cohen, and it sums it up well. What is a honourable mensch It is a voice, and the understanding behind it. It is the eyes, and the intelligence behind them. It is the recognition that support is needed, and asked for, giving it And the kindness that lies behind all of that. It’s keeping quiet when one ought and speaking when one should and knowing the difference. It’s giving pr...

Italy comes to Town

If "Italy came to town" this weekend, then, it missed the bus. The Italian consulate should be ashamed at charging people to actually just be fed by the average restaurants in and around Cape Town. Seriously the music wasn't even Italian, one vendor actually spoke Italian. I get you want to spread Italian products to a wider audience, but this was disjointed, there were supposed to have been vendors, why am I paying to have Woolworths show their "Italian range" fuck off! Where are those Nonna's making fresh pasta, and great sauses, where is the Nonno with his amazing home grown tomatoes and home cured prosciutto? Security at the entrances was a joke and just stupid and rude, and I am not talking about the young women who manned the entrace, but the security, who could not help having to be pedantic assholes. If this is the face of Italy in SA, shame, just shame, what a waste.

Backyard

I was looking for our next project, as Nicci and I love spending what little free time swinging spanners in our garage building café racers and we are almost done with our second a 1983 BMW r100rs, so I was looking on gumtree and olx and I came across an add for a café racer where the guy says “professionally build, not a backyard garage builder”. And he’s right I am a backyard garage builder, but I do know when a nut is loose and when it’s tight, and seeing as I ride what I build, you would be right in assuming as I’m on the damn thing I check everything twice, hell more than that. To him I have this to say, you may have a workshop, but buddy it doesn’t make you any good at what you do, let alone legitimize the design eye you just don’t have. This is what I am getting at, there is a lot of talk about where you work from, let me explain. I opened new premises many years ago, after having worked from my a dedicated tattoo studio at my home, a tattoo artist, I won’t mention names, com...