Skip to main content

Depressed

I feel depressed today, infact the malaise has followed me most of the week like a turd stuck to the bottom of my shoe, no matter how hard you get rid of it, you can always smell it there.
Today we bury Nelson Mandela, I don't call him Tata, or any other term of endearment, I never met him, or had selfies done with him, or even got close to him, but if you live in South Africa, you sure have felt his presence. It's sad cause I don't mourn the man, as I know that as one, he had he's shortcoming as we all do, but the passing of a way of thinking and behaving, the passing of menchkite.
I feel that people can be judged by the way they treat those unable to protect themselves, and if anyone stood for those most in need, he did, but that's not why I'm depressed, I'm depressed that after such a great example, we have learnt sweet fuck all.
When last did you reach out to someone or something in need, done something selfless? When last did you not put yourself, or those really closest to you first, and just gave?
That abandoned dog needing a shelter, you just passed hoping that the image would not be seared into your mind forever, and you go home and wash it away with beer and tv. You can just pass it off by saying "well I just can't help everyone" why can't you? what stops you? I never gave without getting something in return, my menchkite, and not that I consider myself a mench, far from it, but this isn't just about me, though it starts with me I know.
I don't believe in Christmas, and all that shit, but if it for one day makes you grateful for what you have, then I'm all for it, perhaps it might make you think about those that have nothing.
I"m rambling now in a mixed up world, spinning in melancholy, so I won't bore you any further, all I ask is if you read this far, today of all days, be a mench

I mentioned being a “mensch” and I was not really clear on what it means. A good friend and client brought this in for me, it’s part of an article written by Charlotte Cohen, and it sums it up well.

What is a honourable mensch
It is a voice, and the understanding behind it.
It is the eyes, and the intelligence behind them.
It is the recognition that support is needed, and asked for, giving it
And the kindness that lies behind all of that.
It’s keeping quiet when one ought and speaking when one should and knowing the difference.
It’s giving praise deservedly and encouragement unreservedly.
It’s standing up for what is right, standing up for ones own rights and standing up for a friend.
It’s thinking with one’s heart and acting with one’s mind.
It’s the fusion of up to date views with old fashioned values.
Always maintaining a sense of honour, and always sustaining a sense of humour.
A mensch is a person one can trust, who’s non-judgemental and plays fair.
A mensch sees the world as ‘we’ not ‘I’
A mensch is always there.
A mensch is a manifestation of the human spirit, using the inimitable character that lies within , and the infinite energy that lies beyond.

Thanks Sari.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love and Happiness

At this time of year when everyone is reminded that being a human being is being kind and loving, forgiving and tolerant, I feel that it's all bullshit, this is not a state for the holidays, this should be a constant state and something we should strive towards in our everyday lives. I blogged about being a "mensch" and perhaps it's good to remind ourselves what it means to be one. what follows is that blog A while ago I mentioned being a “mensch” and I was not really clear on what it means. A good friend and client brought this in for me, it’s part of an article written by Charlotte Cohen, and it sums it up well. What is a honourable mensch It is a voice, and the understanding behind it. It is the eyes, and the intelligence behind them. It is the recognition that support is needed, and asked for, giving it And the kindness that lies behind all of that. It’s keeping quiet when one ought and speaking when one should and knowing the difference. It’s giving pr...

Italy comes to Town

If "Italy came to town" this weekend, then, it missed the bus. The Italian consulate should be ashamed at charging people to actually just be fed by the average restaurants in and around Cape Town. Seriously the music wasn't even Italian, one vendor actually spoke Italian. I get you want to spread Italian products to a wider audience, but this was disjointed, there were supposed to have been vendors, why am I paying to have Woolworths show their "Italian range" fuck off! Where are those Nonna's making fresh pasta, and great sauses, where is the Nonno with his amazing home grown tomatoes and home cured prosciutto? Security at the entrances was a joke and just stupid and rude, and I am not talking about the young women who manned the entrace, but the security, who could not help having to be pedantic assholes. If this is the face of Italy in SA, shame, just shame, what a waste.

Backyard

I was looking for our next project, as Nicci and I love spending what little free time swinging spanners in our garage building café racers and we are almost done with our second a 1983 BMW r100rs, so I was looking on gumtree and olx and I came across an add for a café racer where the guy says “professionally build, not a backyard garage builder”. And he’s right I am a backyard garage builder, but I do know when a nut is loose and when it’s tight, and seeing as I ride what I build, you would be right in assuming as I’m on the damn thing I check everything twice, hell more than that. To him I have this to say, you may have a workshop, but buddy it doesn’t make you any good at what you do, let alone legitimize the design eye you just don’t have. This is what I am getting at, there is a lot of talk about where you work from, let me explain. I opened new premises many years ago, after having worked from my a dedicated tattoo studio at my home, a tattoo artist, I won’t mention names, com...