Skip to main content

Anti Social Media....????

Love or hate social media, that’s completely up to you, but today and it’s early in the day so that’s not good, but here is my line in the sand. I am not going to go on about opinions and assholes again I have said it way to often, so here is my brain fart. I use social media to promote myself, and my studio, I don’t have a shop front, street studio, I have chosen another path and that is to build the kind of space I want to be in all the time, and then share that with my clients. So we work on an appointment based routine, which gives each artist time to spend with there client and design custom pieces for them. There are many pros and cons to this as you can well imagine, but the single most important thing is getting the message out there and as any small business will tell you this isn’t always easy. Client word of mouth has been our greatest allies, but social media has really catapulted this idea of mine and made it a viable venture.

Every morning I get up and “check the wires” my little old fashioned term for checking e-mails and social networks, but this morning I was just lambasted with stupid shit, seriously if you hate the social networks so much, do us all a favour and get the fuck off them. If you feel the need to tell the world to get constantly fucked by showing your middle finger, please, another favour, go get some help, you obviously have issues, but please stop putting them in our faces.


Remember this is social media, not anti-social media and if you have something hateful or nasty to say, you should have the courage to say it to their faces, same with being overly forward and sexual innuendo. It has become easy to sit behind a computer and lash out with garbage without consequence, in a proper social setting you wouldn’t behave this way, and if you did, you probably get a beating, or those men with those nice white jackets with the sleeves that tie behind your back come fetch you. I understand that people get bored, and look for distraction, or feel like the remoteness of a computer gives them the courage they normally lack, but think about the quality of what you put out there, it speaks volumes about you

These are some cover up pieces I did this week



Thank you to Bianca, Juley and Malissa for allowing me the opportunity to do these pieces.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love and Happiness

At this time of year when everyone is reminded that being a human being is being kind and loving, forgiving and tolerant, I feel that it's all bullshit, this is not a state for the holidays, this should be a constant state and something we should strive towards in our everyday lives. I blogged about being a "mensch" and perhaps it's good to remind ourselves what it means to be one. what follows is that blog A while ago I mentioned being a “mensch” and I was not really clear on what it means. A good friend and client brought this in for me, it’s part of an article written by Charlotte Cohen, and it sums it up well. What is a honourable mensch It is a voice, and the understanding behind it. It is the eyes, and the intelligence behind them. It is the recognition that support is needed, and asked for, giving it And the kindness that lies behind all of that. It’s keeping quiet when one ought and speaking when one should and knowing the difference. It’s giving pr...

Italy comes to Town

If "Italy came to town" this weekend, then, it missed the bus. The Italian consulate should be ashamed at charging people to actually just be fed by the average restaurants in and around Cape Town. Seriously the music wasn't even Italian, one vendor actually spoke Italian. I get you want to spread Italian products to a wider audience, but this was disjointed, there were supposed to have been vendors, why am I paying to have Woolworths show their "Italian range" fuck off! Where are those Nonna's making fresh pasta, and great sauses, where is the Nonno with his amazing home grown tomatoes and home cured prosciutto? Security at the entrances was a joke and just stupid and rude, and I am not talking about the young women who manned the entrace, but the security, who could not help having to be pedantic assholes. If this is the face of Italy in SA, shame, just shame, what a waste.

Backyard

I was looking for our next project, as Nicci and I love spending what little free time swinging spanners in our garage building café racers and we are almost done with our second a 1983 BMW r100rs, so I was looking on gumtree and olx and I came across an add for a café racer where the guy says “professionally build, not a backyard garage builder”. And he’s right I am a backyard garage builder, but I do know when a nut is loose and when it’s tight, and seeing as I ride what I build, you would be right in assuming as I’m on the damn thing I check everything twice, hell more than that. To him I have this to say, you may have a workshop, but buddy it doesn’t make you any good at what you do, let alone legitimize the design eye you just don’t have. This is what I am getting at, there is a lot of talk about where you work from, let me explain. I opened new premises many years ago, after having worked from my a dedicated tattoo studio at my home, a tattoo artist, I won’t mention names, com...