Skip to main content

Spotlight on faith.

I just finished watching "Spotlight", I grew up within Catholicism, and I am appalled. Of course I knew about the abuse, but never understood the extent, and I am left feeling quite ill, and fortunate to have never had to face such abuse. I do understand that faith is not about the men who represent it, but this is evil at its most cynical and to use one of their terms most demonic. The Catholic Church has to be the most despicable entity on the planet, to preach of faith and destroy it in every action is the terrorism of the soul, and if the doctrine is correct then the whole church is destined for a fiery place. I find it hard to understand that any person can be called to this faith and that people still attend the catholic church is unfathomable.
I have my own story to tell and in the grand scope of this it is of no real consequence, but interesting all the same in this context.
A few years ago one of my very best friends called me and asked me if I would tattoo his Catholic priest, I know, I know, you think I'm shitting you right now but it's true, and to make it more incredible is he wanted it on his hand! I have no issues with tattooing anyone it's not my place to judge, but once complete he got up and left without paying as if he was exempt, and when I brought it up, my mate insisted on paying it out of shear embarrassment.
Makes one wonder about how these men of the church view themselves within the parish and society. I wonder how they perceive us, do they serve us, their god or themselves, can they tell the difference between those, or does it all blur in the heady notion of being gods representatives.
I will never again set foot in a Catholic church, as for my faith it's my own and will not be dictated by man, any man.
As for my Catholic friends specially those with kids, I urge you to please watch this movie and the credits at the end because this is global and Cape Town is not exempt, it has happened here and probably still is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love and Happiness

At this time of year when everyone is reminded that being a human being is being kind and loving, forgiving and tolerant, I feel that it's all bullshit, this is not a state for the holidays, this should be a constant state and something we should strive towards in our everyday lives. I blogged about being a "mensch" and perhaps it's good to remind ourselves what it means to be one. what follows is that blog A while ago I mentioned being a “mensch” and I was not really clear on what it means. A good friend and client brought this in for me, it’s part of an article written by Charlotte Cohen, and it sums it up well. What is a honourable mensch It is a voice, and the understanding behind it. It is the eyes, and the intelligence behind them. It is the recognition that support is needed, and asked for, giving it And the kindness that lies behind all of that. It’s keeping quiet when one ought and speaking when one should and knowing the difference. It’s giving pr...

Italy comes to Town

If "Italy came to town" this weekend, then, it missed the bus. The Italian consulate should be ashamed at charging people to actually just be fed by the average restaurants in and around Cape Town. Seriously the music wasn't even Italian, one vendor actually spoke Italian. I get you want to spread Italian products to a wider audience, but this was disjointed, there were supposed to have been vendors, why am I paying to have Woolworths show their "Italian range" fuck off! Where are those Nonna's making fresh pasta, and great sauses, where is the Nonno with his amazing home grown tomatoes and home cured prosciutto? Security at the entrances was a joke and just stupid and rude, and I am not talking about the young women who manned the entrace, but the security, who could not help having to be pedantic assholes. If this is the face of Italy in SA, shame, just shame, what a waste.

Backyard

I was looking for our next project, as Nicci and I love spending what little free time swinging spanners in our garage building café racers and we are almost done with our second a 1983 BMW r100rs, so I was looking on gumtree and olx and I came across an add for a café racer where the guy says “professionally build, not a backyard garage builder”. And he’s right I am a backyard garage builder, but I do know when a nut is loose and when it’s tight, and seeing as I ride what I build, you would be right in assuming as I’m on the damn thing I check everything twice, hell more than that. To him I have this to say, you may have a workshop, but buddy it doesn’t make you any good at what you do, let alone legitimize the design eye you just don’t have. This is what I am getting at, there is a lot of talk about where you work from, let me explain. I opened new premises many years ago, after having worked from my a dedicated tattoo studio at my home, a tattoo artist, I won’t mention names, com...